- 15+ years professional writing experience: academic, essays, fiction, blogging.
- 15+ years university-level teaching experience: writing, literature, film.
- Teaching, presenting, tutoring and/or academic research at Kansas State University (tenure-track Assistant Professor of English) as well as:
San Francisco State University, Indiana University South Bend, University of Notre Dame, University of Ulster (Northern Ireland), University of London, Queens University (Belfast), Trinity College Dublin (Ireland), Erasmus University (the Netherlands), University of Salamanca (Spain), Charles University (Czech Republic), University of North Florida, San Jose State University, and Tulane.
- Ph.D: Irish Studies and English Literature, Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies and English Department, University of Notre Dame, 2007.
- B.A.: English, San Francisco State University 1999.
- New York University (fellowship, Tisch School of the Arts).
- Blogging on Medium and at Coyot.es, a hub for conservation-themed writing, and AnimalBlawg.com, an academic forum about animal law, ethics, and policy.
- Violence, Silence, and Sacrifice: the Mother-Daughter Relationship in the Short Fiction of Irish Women Writers, 1890-1980. University of Notre Dame, 2007.
- “’I Wasn’t a Bit Maternal’: Mary Lavin’s Critique of Irish Motherhood” in Joy Interrupted: an Anthology on Motherhood & Loss (ed. Melissa Miles McCarter). Fat Daddy’s Press, 2013.
- “Playing Hide and Seek: Losing and Finding My Mother” in Joy Interrupted: an Anthology on Motherhood & Loss (ed. Melissa Miles McCarter). Fat Daddy’s Press, 2013.
- “Lady Justice: Social Sleuthing & Sister Fidelma” in The Sister Fidelma Mysteries: Essays on the Historical Novels of Peter Tremayne (eds. Edward J. Reilly & David R. Wooten). McFarland Press, 2012.
- “Shocking Food Labels Expose What Our Meat Addiction Means for Wildlife.” OneGreenPlanet. 2016.
- “War of Nutrition: Big Mayo Bullies Eco-Friendly ‘Just Mayo.’ The Dodo. 2014.
- “Aaron Simpson: Fighter in the Hen House.” OurHenHouse. 2012.
- “Leaving Oz.” The Emerald. July 28, 2012
- “Redneck Hippies.” The Emerald. July 2012
- “Fishtank” and “Transmission.” Poems for Ezine. Be About It. 2012.
- “Why I’ll Be Out of Town on Valentine’s Day.” Curvy Girl Guide. 2012.
- “Where is the Love? Using the Black Eyed Peas to Reach Expository Writing Students” with Heidi Blackburn. New Prairie Press. 2011.
- “Dying for Ireland: Violence, Silence, and Sacrifice in Dorothy Macardle’s Earth-Bound: Nine Stories of Ireland (1924). New Hibernia Review, 2008.
- “Love in Infant Monkeys.” ALDF.org. 2015.
- “David Grimm’s Citizen Canine. ALDF.org. 2014.
- “Charles Siebert’s ‘Rough Beasts: the Zanesville Zoo Massacre, 1 Year Later.’ Ourhenhouse.org. 2013.
- “Jeff Corwin’s Explorer Series: SHARKS.” Ourhenhouse.org. 2013.
- “Green is the New Red: an Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege, by Will Potter.” Ourhenhouse.org. 2012.
SELECT AUTHOR INTERVIEWS.
- Joshua Horwitz, The War of the Whales and War of the Whales Case Study.
- Will Potter, Green is the New Red: an Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege.
- David Grimm, Citizen Canine: Our Evolving Relationship with Cats and Dogs.
- Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, Beasts: What Animals Can Teach Us About the Origins of Good and Evil.
- David Kirby, Death at Sea World.
- Jim Yuskavitch, In Wolf Country: the Power and Politics of Reintroduction.
- Mark Hawthorne, Bleating Hearts: the Hidden World of Animal Suffering.
- Susan Orlean, Rin Tin Tin: the Life and the Legend.
- James McWilliams, The Modern Savage.
- “Fertilizing Catastrophe.” Medium. September 2016.
- “It’s Time to Cut the Cheese.” Medium. September 2016.
- “Appetite For Destruction.” Medium. August 2016.
- “Eating Away at Biodiversity.” Medium. July 2016.
- “Earth on the Menu: Why Olive Garden Should Adopt Good Food Policies.” Medium. April 2016.
- “Eat Wild in 2016: Five Ways Your Diet Resolutions Can Save Wildlife, Help the Planet.” Medium. Jan. 2016.
- “Cecil the Lion: Will U.S. Laws Hold Trophy Killer Accountable?” AnimalBlawg.com. 2015. (Re-printed in Advocacy Britannica).
- “Wildcat Roar: When Mountain Lions Live Under the House.” Medium. 2015.
- “Coexistence with Coyotes.” AnimalBlawg.com. 2015.
- “Reckless CA Killing Contests Continue, Despite Ban.” ALDF.org. 2015.
- “November Song Dogs.” Coyot.es. 2014.
- “War of Nutrition: Big Mayo Bullies Eco-Friendly ‘Just Mayo.'” TheDodo.com. 2014.
- “Liberty and Justice for All: an Animal Bill of Rights.” OneGreenPlanet.org. 2014.
- “California Gives ESA Protection to Lone Wolf and His Pups.” ALDF.org, 2014.
- “Maternal Deprivation: the Cruelest Research Continues.” ALDF.org, 2013.
- “Truths Self-Evident: Lincoln and the Rights of Animals.” ALDF.org, 2012.
- “Monkey Business: Animal Rights and Human Responsibilities.” ALDF.org, 2012.
OP-EDS & ONLINE RESOURCES
- “Why the Animal Ag Industry Needs More Than Good Samaritans to Make a Change.” OneGreenPlanet.Org, December 2014.
- “5 Things You Didn’t Know About the Carriage-Horse Industry.” Originally published on TheDodo.com–republished by Encyclopedia Britannica, November, 2014.
- “A Bad Boutique Law Shows Its Skin.” Originally published by The Daily Journal. October 2014.
- “Domestic Violence & Animal Cruelty.” Originally published by ALDF.org – republished by Encyclopedia Britannica – Advocacy for Animals, February 2013.
- “‘These Activists Make Upton Sinclair’s Jungle Look Tame.’” Interview with Will Potter, ALDF.org – republished by OpEdNews, 2012.
- “A Cruelty-Free Day of Thanks.” Originally published by ALDF.org – republished by Encyclopedia Britannica – Advocacy for Animals. November 2012.
- “Wolf Hunting: the Final Frontier.” Originally published by ALDF. org – republished by Encyclopedia Britannica – Advocacy for Animals. October 2012.
INTERVIEWED & QUOTED
- “New Food Campaign Targets Extinction On Your Plate.” The Christian Science Monitor 2016.
- “Extinction On Your Plate?” Food Tank Blog 2016.
- “Your Next Hamburger May Come with a Side of Endangered Wolf.” TakePart.org 2016.
- “Coyote Hunting Contests Banned, But Killing Events Continue.” KCET.org. 2015.
- “Ivory Ban Bill Advances in Sacramento.” KCET.org. 2015.
- “In Defense of Vegetarianism.” ParadiseFromMyPorch. 2015.
- The Pollination Project, Judge for Unsung Heroes, 2015.
- Kansas State University, Faculty Advisor, On the Record (campus newsmagazine) and Kappa Sigma Alpha (campus’ first women’s professional club), 2009-2012.
- Upward Bound, Faculty Judge, Presidential Award essay contest, Kansas, 2008-2012.
- Sexual Offense Services, Victim’s Advocate, Indiana, 2004-2008.
- Amnesty International, Ireland, 2003-2004.
- Pet Refuge Animal Shelter, Indiana, 2001-2003.
- Sonoma Humane Society, California. 1992-1995.