- Published in The Sun, as well as The Guardian, The Sacramento Bee, USA Today, and KCET and academic journals including Biodiversity and New Hibernia Review.
- 20+ years professional writing experience.
- 15+ years university-level teaching experience.
TEACHING, TUTORING & PRESENTING
- 6 years as a tenure-track Assistant Professor at Kansas State University, faculty senator, professional mentor, editor and judge, and supervisor university magazine (with small staff)
- Teaching, presenting and research at:
- San Francisco State University (adjunct instructor)
- Indiana University South Bend (adjunct instructor)
- University of Notre Dame (adjunct instructor)
- University of Ulster (Northern Ireland) (research)
- University of London (clerk)
- Queens University (Belfast) (research)
- Trinity College Dublin (Ireland) (research grant)
- Erasmus University (the Netherlands) (presentation)
- University of Salamanca (Spain) (presentation)
- Charles University (Czech Republic) (presentation)
- University of North Florida (presentation)
- San Jose State University (presentation)
- Tulane University (presentation)
- Santa Rosa Junior College (adjunct faculty)
- Tutoring, supervising, teaching and mentoring
- 25+ years working with youth
- San Francisco State University (sociology tutor)
- Santa Rosa Junior College (women’s history tutor)
- Parkside Elementary (math, reading, writing tutor)
- Parkside Afterschool Program (supervisor)
- Nanny (for children ages 0-5)
- Ph.D. University of Notre Dame, 2007.
- B.A. San Francisco State University 1999.
- New York University /Trinity College, Dublin 1999.
- Violence, Silence, and Sacrifice: the Mother-Daughter Relationship in the Short Fiction of Irish Women Writers, 1890-1980. University of Notre Dame, 2007.
- “’I Wasn’t a Bit Maternal’: Mary Lavin’s Critique of Irish Motherhood” in Joy Interrupted: an Anthology on Motherhood & Loss (ed. Melissa Miles McCarter). Fat Daddy’s Press, 2013.
- “Playing Hide and Seek: Losing and Finding My Mother” in Joy Interrupted: an Anthology on Motherhood & Loss (ed. Melissa Miles McCarter). Fat Daddy’s Press, 2013.
- “Lady Justice: Social Sleuthing & Sister Fidelma” in The Sister Fidelma Mysteries: Essays on the Historical Novels of Peter Tremayne (eds. Edward J. Reilly & David R. Wooten). McFarland Press, 2012.
- “Where is the Love? Using the Black Eyed Peas to Reach Expository Writing Students” with Heidi Blackburn. New Prairie Press. 2011.
- “Dying for Ireland: Violence, Silence, and Sacrifice in Dorothy Macardle’s Earth-Bound: Nine Stories of Ireland (1924). New Hibernia Review. 2008.
ESSAYS & STORIES
- “Winter.” Readers Write. The Sun Magazine. 2017.
POETRY & PROSE
- Ireland and the Jacobite Cause 1685-1766. By Dr. Éamonn Ó Ciardha. 2003.
INTERVIEWED & QUOTED
- Author, Narrator, Character. Storm School Writing Blog. 2018.
- “Habitat-fed Food: Grass-fed Beef and Sustainable Solutions.” Biodiversity. 2017.
- “Beef Industry Takes the Biggest Bite Out of Earth’s Natural Resources.” Eco Watch. May 2019.
- “5 Ways USDA’s School Programs Fail “Start Simple.” Food Dive. March 2019.
- “Climate Friendly Beef Is a Myth: Don’t Buy It.” In These Times. November 2018.
- “5 Reasons You Should Ditch Meat for This Food If You Want to Save Money and Fight Climate Change.” One Green Planet. 2017.
- “Shocking Food Labels Expose What Our Meat Addiction Means for Wildlife.” One Green Planet. 2016.
- “War of Nutrition: Big Mayo Bullies Eco-Friendly ‘Just Mayo.’ The Dodo. 2014.
- “McClimate Change: Is it So Impossible for McDonald’s to Serve Plant-Based Options?” Chicago Business. April 2019.
- “When It Comes to Food Waste, Shoppers Aren’t the Only Ones to Blame.” Food Tank. July 2018.
- “How to Feed the World While Curbing Our Appetite for Destruction.” The Guardian. December 2017.
- “Amazon-Whole Foods Deal Could Mean Prime Waste“. Food Tank. August 2017.
- “We Can Address Food Waste at Home First.” USA Today. July 2017.
- “Don’t Let Trump Hand this Pristine Monument to Industry.” The Sacramento Bee. June 2017.
- “Wild California in a Trump Administration.” KCET. 2017.
- “There’s No Such Thing As Sustainable Beef.” May 2018.
- “Supermarkets and the Food Waste Crisis.” April 2018.
- “Checked Out: An Introduction to the Ways Supermarkets Fail to Reduce Food Waste in the U.S.” .April 2018.
- “The Search for Sustainable Beef.” October 2017.
- “Wasting the Wild: How Household Food Waste Hurts Wildlife.” September 2017.
- “Grizzly End for Endangered Bears in Montana.” June 2017.
- “Sonny Perdue: In the Pocket of Big Ag.” January 2017.
- “Big Cheese: the Deceptive Politics of Industry Regulation.” January 2017.
- “I’m Thankful for Wilderness and Wildlife.” November 2017.
- “Fertilizing Catastrophe.” September 2016.
- “It’s Time to Cut the Cheese.” September 2016.
- “Appetite For Destruction.” August 2016.
- “Eating Away at Biodiversity.” July 2016.
- “Eat Wild in 2016: Five Ways Your Diet Resolutions Can Save Wildlife, Help the Planet.”.Jan. 2016.
INTERVIEWED & QUOTED
- “AT&T Park Satisfies Appetite for Sustainability.” San Francisco Examiner. April 2018.
- “Smell No Evil, See No Evil, Drink No Evil: Challenging the Massive Power and Traumatic Environmental Impact of Factory Farms.” Eugene Weekly. April 2018.
- “Eco Groups Give Publix Poor Grade for Food Waste.” The Orlando Sentinel. April 2018.
- “Supermarkets Don’t Make Grade in Reducing Food Waste.” Supermarket News. April 2018.
- “On Food Waste Report Card, Walmart Scores Higher Than Whole Foods.” Austin 360. April 2018.
- “New Food Campaign Targets Extinction On Your Plate.” The Christian Science Monitor 2016.
- “Extinction On Your Plate?” Food Tank Blog 2016.
- “Your Next Hamburger May Come with a Side of Endangered Wolf.” TakePart.org 2016.
- “Coyote Hunting Contests Banned, But Killing Events Continue.” KCET. 2015.
- “Ivory Ban Bill Advances in Sacramento.” KCET. 2015.
- “In Defense of Vegetarianism.” ParadiseFromMyPorch. 2015.
Writing About Animals:
- “Why the Animal Ag Industry Needs More Than Good Samaritans to Make a Change.” One Green Planet. 2014.
- “5 Things You Didn’t Know About the Carriage-Horse Industry.” Encyclopedia Britannica, 2014.
- “War of Nutrition: Big Mayo Bullies Eco-Friendly ‘Just Mayo.'” The Dodo. 2014.
- “Liberty and Justice for All: an Animal Bill of Rights.” One Green Planet. 2014.
- “A Bad Boutique Law Shows Its Skin.” The Daily Journal. October 2014.
- “Domestic Violence & Animal Cruelty.” Encyclopedia Britannica. February 2013.
- “Wolf Hunting: the Final Frontier.” Encyclopedia Britannica – Advocacy for Animals. October 2012.
ESSAYS & STORIES
- “Aaron Simpson: Fighter in the Hen House.” Our Hen House. 2012.
- “Cecil the Lion: Will U.S. Laws Hold Trophy Killer Accountable?” AnimalBlawg.com. 2015. (Re-printed in Advocacy Britannica).
- “Wildcat Roar: When Mountain Lions Live Under the House.” Medium. 2015.
- “Coexistence with Coyotes.” AnimalBlawg.com. 2015.
- “Reckless CA Killing Contests Continue, Despite Ban.” ALDF.org. 2015.
- “November Song Dogs.” Coyot.es. 2014.
- “California Gives ESA Protection to Lone Wolf and His Pups.” ALDF.org, 2014.
- “Maternal Deprivation: the Cruelest Research Continues.” ALDF.org, 2013.
- “Truths Self-Evident: Lincoln and the Rights of Animals.” ALDF.org, 2012.
- “Monkey Business: Animal Rights and Human Responsibilities.” ALDF.org, 2012.
- “Love in Infant Monkeys.” ALDF.org. 2015.
- “David Grimm’s Citizen Canine. ALDF.org. 2014.
- “Charles Siebert’s ‘Rough Beasts: the Zanesville Zoo Massacre, 1 Year Later.’ Our Hen House. 2013.
- “Jeff Corwin’s Explorer Series: SHARKS.” Our Hen House. 2013.
- “Green is the New Red: an Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege, by Will Potter.” Our Hen House. 2012.
- Joshua Horwitz, The War of the Whales and War of the Whales Case Study.
- Will Potter, Green is the New Red: an Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege. And “‘These Activists Make Upton Sinclair’s Jungle Look Tame.’” Interview with Will Potter, ALDF.org – republished by OpEdNews, 2012.
- David Grimm, Citizen Canine: Our Evolving Relationship with Cats and Dogs.
- Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, Beasts: What Animals Can Teach Us About the Origins of Good and Evil.
- David Kirby, Death at Sea World.
- Jim Yuskavitch, In Wolf Country: the Power and Politics of Reintroduction.
- Mark Hawthorne, Bleating Hearts: the Hidden World of Animal Suffering.
- Susan Orlean, Rin Tin Tin: the Life and the Legend.
- James McWilliams, The Modern Savage.
Writing About Culture, Humor:
- All Cracked Up. (Editor, author, and creator). Junipaya Productions. 2012.
ESSAYS & STORIES
- “Leaving Oz.” The Emerald. July 28, 2012
- “Redneck Hippies.” The Emerald. July 2012
- “Why I’ll Be Out of Town on Valentine’s Day.” Curvy Girl Guide. 2012.