- Published in The Sacramento Bee, USA Today, and KCET as well as academic journals including Biodiversity and New Hibernia Review.
- 15+ years professional writing experience: academic, essays, fiction, blogging.
- 15+ years university-level teaching experience: writing, literature, film.
- Tenure-track Assistant Professor of English at Kansas State University (2008-2013) as well as teaching, presenting, tutoring and/or academic research at:San Francisco State University, Indiana University South Bend, University of Notre Dame, University of Ulster (Northern Ireland), University of London, Queens University (Belfast), Trinity College Dublin (Ireland), Erasmus University (the Netherlands), University of Salamanca (Spain), Charles University (Czech Republic), University of North Florida, San Jose State University, Tulane.
- Ph.D – Irish Studies and English Literature, Keough-Naughton Institute for Irish Studies and English Department, University of Notre Dame, 2007.
- B.A. – English, San Francisco State University 1999.
- New York University (fellowship, Tisch School of the Arts).
- Violence, Silence, and Sacrifice: the Mother-Daughter Relationship in the Short Fiction of Irish Women Writers, 1890-1980. University of Notre Dame, 2007.
- “’I Wasn’t a Bit Maternal’: Mary Lavin’s Critique of Irish Motherhood” in Joy Interrupted: an Anthology on Motherhood & Loss (ed. Melissa Miles McCarter). Fat Daddy’s Press, 2013.
- “Playing Hide and Seek: Losing and Finding My Mother” in Joy Interrupted: an Anthology on Motherhood & Loss (ed. Melissa Miles McCarter). Fat Daddy’s Press, 2013.
- “Lady Justice: Social Sleuthing & Sister Fidelma” in The Sister Fidelma Mysteries: Essays on the Historical Novels of Peter Tremayne (eds. Edward J. Reilly & David R. Wooten). McFarland Press, 2012.
- “Habitat-fed Food: Grass-fed Beef and Sustainable Solutions.” Biodiversity. 2017.
- “Where is the Love? Using the Black Eyed Peas to Reach Expository Writing Students” with Heidi Blackburn. New Prairie Press. 2011.
- “Dying for Ireland: Violence, Silence, and Sacrifice in Dorothy Macardle’s Earth-Bound: Nine Stories of Ireland (1924). New Hibernia Review. 2008.
- “Amazon-Whole Foods Deal Could Mean Prime Waste. Food Tank. August 2017.
- “We Can Address Food Waste at Home First.” USA Today. July 2017.
- “Don’t Let Trump Hand this Pristine Monument to Industry.” The Sacramento Bee. June 2017.
- “Wild California in a Trump Administration.” KCET. 2017.
- “A Bad Boutique Law Shows Its Skin.” The Daily Journal. October 2014.
- “Domestic Violence & Animal Cruelty.” Encyclopedia Britannica – Advocacy for Animals, February 2013.
- “Wolf Hunting: the Final Frontier.” Encyclopedia Britannica – Advocacy for Animals. October 2012.
- Joshua Horwitz, The War of the Whales and War of the Whales Case Study.
- Will Potter, Green is the New Red: an Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege. And “‘These Activists Make Upton Sinclair’s Jungle Look Tame.’” Interview with Will Potter, ALDF.org – republished by OpEdNews, 2012.
- David Grimm, Citizen Canine: Our Evolving Relationship with Cats and Dogs.
- Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, Beasts: What Animals Can Teach Us About the Origins of Good and Evil.
- David Kirby, Death at Sea World.
- Jim Yuskavitch, In Wolf Country: the Power and Politics of Reintroduction.
- Mark Hawthorne, Bleating Hearts: the Hidden World of Animal Suffering.
- Susan Orlean, Rin Tin Tin: the Life and the Legend.
- James McWilliams, The Modern Savage.
- “Love in Infant Monkeys.” ALDF.org. 2015.
- “David Grimm’s Citizen Canine. ALDF.org. 2014.
- “Charles Siebert’s ‘Rough Beasts: the Zanesville Zoo Massacre, 1 Year Later.’ Our Hen House. 2013.
- “Jeff Corwin’s Explorer Series: SHARKS.” Our Hen House. 2013.
- “Green is the New Red: an Insider’s Account of a Social Movement Under Siege, by Will Potter.” Our Hen House. 2012.
- “5 Reasons You Should Ditch Meat for This Food If You Want to Save Money and Fight Climate Change.” One Green Planet. 2017.
- “Shocking Food Labels Expose What Our Meat Addiction Means for Wildlife.” One Green Planet. 2016.
- “War of Nutrition: Big Mayo Bullies Eco-Friendly ‘Just Mayo.’ The Dodo. 2014.
- “Why the Animal Ag Industry Needs More Than Good Samaritans to Make a Change.” One Green Planet. 2014.
- “5 Things You Didn’t Know About the Carriage-Horse Industry.” Originally published on TheDodo.com–republished by Encyclopedia Britannica, 2014.
- “War of Nutrition: Big Mayo Bullies Eco-Friendly ‘Just Mayo.'” The Dodo. 2014.
- “Liberty and Justice for All: an Animal Bill of Rights.” One Green Planet. 2014.
- “Aaron Simpson: Fighter in the Hen House.” Our Hen House. 2012.
- “Leaving Oz.” The Emerald. July 28, 2012
- “Redneck Hippies.” The Emerald. July 2012
- “Why I’ll Be Out of Town on Valentine’s Day.” Curvy Girl Guide. 2012.
- “Grizzly End for Endangered Bears in Montana.” Medium. June 2017.
- “Sonny Perdue: In the Pocket of Big Ag.” Medium. January 2017.
- “Big Cheese: the Deceptive Politics of Industry Regulation.” Medium. January 2017.
- “I’m Thankful for Wilderness and Wildlife.” Medium. November 2017.
- “Fertilizing Catastrophe.” Medium. September 2016.
- “It’s Time to Cut the Cheese.” Medium. September 2016.
- “Appetite For Destruction.” Medium. August 2016.
- “Eating Away at Biodiversity.” Medium. July 2016.
- “Eat Wild in 2016: Five Ways Your Diet Resolutions Can Save Wildlife, Help the Planet.” Medium. Jan. 2016.
- “Cecil the Lion: Will U.S. Laws Hold Trophy Killer Accountable?” AnimalBlawg.com. 2015. (Re-printed in Advocacy Britannica).
- “Wildcat Roar: When Mountain Lions Live Under the House.” Medium. 2015.
- “Coexistence with Coyotes.” AnimalBlawg.com. 2015.
- “Reckless CA Killing Contests Continue, Despite Ban.” ALDF.org. 2015.
- “November Song Dogs.” Coyot.es. 2014.
- “California Gives ESA Protection to Lone Wolf and His Pups.” ALDF.org, 2014.
- “Maternal Deprivation: the Cruelest Research Continues.” ALDF.org, 2013.
- “Truths Self-Evident: Lincoln and the Rights of Animals.” ALDF.org, 2012.
- “Monkey Business: Animal Rights and Human Responsibilities.” ALDF.org, 2012.
INTERVIEWED & QUOTED
- “New Food Campaign Targets Extinction On Your Plate.” The Christian Science Monitor 2016.
- “Extinction On Your Plate?” Food Tank Blog 2016.
- “Your Next Hamburger May Come with a Side of Endangered Wolf.” TakePart.org 2016.
- “Coyote Hunting Contests Banned, But Killing Events Continue.” KCET. 2015.
- “Ivory Ban Bill Advances in Sacramento.” KCET. 2015.
- “In Defense of Vegetarianism.” ParadiseFromMyPorch. 2015.
POETRY & PROSE